Saturday, February 7, 2009

Queering the Restoration (only half-ironically)

Resolved: My life would be better if I had myrmidons.

If I had myrmidons, I wouldn't be roaming the queer-theory section of the stacks on a Saturday night, searching for HQ76.3.E8 Q44 1994. "You," I'd say to the nearest myrmidon. "Yes, you, with the gold lace-up sandals. Please bring me every book you can find on early-modern homoeroticism."

"I don't know," the myrmidon would say. "I think that's a job for a minion."

In other news:

LOVIS. He does his blood for a lost mistress spend;
And shall I not die for so brave a friend?

LOVIS offers to fall on his sword, but is hindered by SIR FREDERICK.

SIR FREDERICK. Forbear, sir; the frolic's not to go round, as I take it.
--George Etherege, The Comical Revenge (1664)

3 comments:

  1. You would--after finishing the post, I realized that I'd been half-imitating the narrative voice of your own blog. Hmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, please. i hardly have imaginary/absurd conversations on a lockdown.

    ReplyDelete